How Can We Help?
Positioned Images and Alt Text
- There are 2 types of Images in Google Docs. Inline and Positioned. For Positioned Images, Google does not provide a way via their API to inspect and update Alt Text like it does with Inline Images. An issue has been open with Google for multipl years regarding this.
- When Grackle detects Positioned Images they will always return that we did not find Alt Text and then when you Tag it using Grackle, that Alt Text is specific to Grackle. Only we know about it so when you generate a PDF we can tag the Positioned Image with Alt Text.
- We are researching some workarounds for this.
- In the interim we suggest that you avoid the use of Positioned Images.
- We actually rarely see Positioned Images used and if there was a need to position an image just as an example in one of your documents you could put the image inside a 2×2 Table and use that as a method to position them.
- For example see the screenshot below. You can then hide the grid lines and mark the table as an artifact and then we handle the Inline Image Alt Text fine.